Tuesday 16 July 2013

Finding Peace

Have you ever drawn up a list of the attributes that you seek in a future life partner?  I have long known the attributes that I seek, that I want to find in the person that I love and will hopefully spend the rest of my life with.  I thought I had the list down pat, established a long time ago, no need to go back and make some changes, no need for any further editing.  Then only this morning, have I come to the realisation that I was missing one very crucial element.  One more important item that is needed if you are to find what you are seeking in a partner for life.  And that one thing of which I speak is peace.

When I speak of peace, I mean the kind of peace that you find when you look into the face of your partner.  The peace that exists when you look into their eyes and find yourself lost in a moment.  When you take their hand and grasp it in your own.  When you lie against each other naked on the bed, skin on skin.  When you wrap your arms around them, hold them tight and breath in their scent, as your nose nestles within their hair.  When you watch the slow rise and fall of their chest and stomach as they lie breathing.  When they smile at you, and you know that this special smile, a smile that radiates their entire face, was meant only for your eyes.  In all of these moments, this is when we find and know peace.

When I think of this peace, I think of it as a home-coming.  Being so utterly and completely comfortable with the other person, that you feel that you have found the place that you belong in them.  A place where every thing feels right, just as it should be.  A place where your heart can rest, secure in the knowledge that here is the person that it had long sought, here is the other heart for which it had longed to find, here is the other star within the vastness of all of the universe that it needed to behold.  With this peace, a calmness ensues, and you embrace that calmness and make it your own.

I have known this feeling before.  I have known it but never considered to add it to my list.  Only last year I discovered peace in another soul.  I would look into her eyes, I would hold her hand, let my lips touch hers and I found a place that I could call home.  And I did.  I recognised this feeling in her, only I did not express it as peace.  I expressed it as being at home.  It was a deeply heartfelt feeling, a feeling that resonated within every fibre of my being.  As I held her, I felt that I belonged, that my search was finally come to an end.  And then it was gone.  Wrenched away from me, or was it that I wrenched myself from her?  It matters not, since my home was gone in either case.  Now my search is begun all over again, except this time, I know of one more thing that I need to find, one more thing to add to the list. 

What is the list?  I am sure that everyone has different views, everyone will have their own opinion, but this is my own list:-

Passion
Spirit
Friendship
Companionship
Great conversation
Fun and laughter
Intelligence
Supportive
Compassion, understanding and empathy
Caring
Physical attraction
Amazing sex and high sex drive
Similar interests and pursuits
Articulate
Adventurous
Whacky and a little off beat
Must love dogs and cats and animals in general
Must want a family
Peace

I cannot tell you, nor can I teach you how to find this kind of peace.  All I can tell you is that when you do discover it, then you will just know it.  When you find it, please do not give it up easily, because it is a very special gift to behold.  It is a miracle.  It is love.  And love is every thing.


_________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment