Tuesday 9 July 2013

If I Was A Star

There are moments when words begin to form in my mind.  Often, it starts with a single thought, a phrase.  This is the seed.  Without being conscious of where it came from, nor where it will go, more words come into my mind, forming themselves into coherent sentences, that begin to lend themselves to a poem.  Suddenly, I have three or four lines of a poem and it keeps on coming.  I cannot stop it.  There is no proactive thinking on my part.  My subconscious thoughts spring forth, a hand guides me from the beginning, to the middle, until the end.  Then I stop and read what I have written.  I make some minor changes, a word here, a word there.  Then it is completed and I come back to myself once more, out of the void and back in to the real world.  My goal has been reached, my creative process has stopped.  The flow of words, the truth of all things, the beating of my heart, all has been written down and revealed.

I have long viewed my writing as a gift.  When I open my creative vein, or rather, when it opens for me, because I don't have much control over when it will occur, then what comes out onto the page is so often from the deepest part of me.  My subconscious wells up and spills out on to that page in the form of letters that become words that become sentences with meaning.  It is just how it is and it is always going to be that way.  Every word comes from my heart and because it comes from my heart, every word is the absolute, unquestionable truth for me.  I have learned such a great deal about myself from my writing.  Indeed, this blog has taught me so many things and revealed long held truths that previously I could not fathom nor uncover.  Yes, my writing truly is a gift to me.

When I feel inspired to write and the words begin to form, it feels like a raging torrent that I cannot hold back.  I have to unleash it. I must give these words their wings and let them fly free.  Out on the wind they go, soaring on a current of air.

This evening, as I sat on my sofa, words began to form in my mind and so I opened myself up, and I let the words come on their own free will.  The result is the poem below.  I hope that you like it.


If I Was A Star
If I was a star,
I would shine my light down upon you,
I would watch over you from afar,
So bright my light in the heavens,
Stretching down to hold you tight,
A beacon in the void of darkness,
With such intensity would I burn,
So that each and every night,
When you looked above,
My glow would be the light you sought,
Then your eyes would touch mine,
And in that single moment,
A simple wish would we make,
Together, apart, as one, forever.

         ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you liked this poem, then why not check out my book of poetry, Poems From The Path, which is available for download through Amazon.com.  You can read more about it on the Poems From The Path page on this site.


_________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment